Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Following in her footsteps...


Well, this week I canned! For the first time. I couldn't help but think of my great-grandma Randall talking about "canning peachies" as Derek and I scalded and peeled the peaches. She was a great woman that I was really blessed to know. I remember sitting outside and canning with her when I was young and she was in her 80s and 90s. Derek and I were also greatful for our moms and their examples of canning. We both remarked as we finished the peaches that it just felt like the right thing to do. We were blessed because all of our 9 quarts sealed :)

3 comments:

Sleepless In St. George said...

i remember doing salsa at your house in the summer....and yummy apricot jam!

the VA Hills said...

Flashbacks of five boxes of peaches, the deep fryer filled with water, the cord tied to the basket as handles. Five or six peaches filled it, thirty seconds in the water, then dump them onto the table. Repeat. Was it really all day, or did it just seem that long? Sunlight streaming through dozens of bottles. So much better than pears!!!!

David said...

I hope to sample to goods soon.