Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Protein Advice?

So Libby is picky about eating. We learned that the hard way early on. I am always at work trying to find something she will consistently eat--but she goes in BIG time phases. (I don't know where she gets that.) Some proteins that she has gobbled up for awhile but is now rejecting include: yogurt, cheese, hot dogs, beans (black and pinto), and chicken. Stuff she will still eat right now: peanut butter and (I think) ground beef with some kind of sauce. She also only wants to eat food that she can feed herself.

Help? I need more suggestions because peanut butter is such a mess and she can't take it to the gym because of allergy issues there. We have resorted to giving her some of the Next Steps formula to help her get enough to sleep through the night. (Which she is thankfully doing!) So I guess, who cares if all she eats is peanut butter toast where she licks off the peanut butter and throws the toast?

3 comments:

Packer Family said...

I make Caden and Drake an omlet and I blend up veggies into it or cheese cut it into litte cubes so that she can pick it up herself. I also give them veggie burgers with cheese melted on top. Try cattage cheese with blitzed pineapple or masshed banana. I also make eggy bread which is bread soaked in egg, milk, and cinnimon then cooked like french toast. We are Vegitarians so I have a lot of practice figuring out how to get protien in their diets. Also, don't forget grains like old fashioned oatmeal have good protien too!

the VA Hills said...

My boys both loved toasted cheese sandwiches. (They ate the cheese off the bread at first, but eventually started eating the whole thing. I'd even make extra to have in the fridge for shorter errands.) Toddler meat sticks (vienna sausages with less salt, etc.). Slightly underwarmed chicken nuggets. Avocado chunks. Inari sushi. Deviled ham on crackers. Mac 'n' cheese. Meatloaf. Pancakes. Ravioli or tortellini, with or without sauce. Quesadillas (corn tortillas are less chewy than flour). Cottage cheese with fruit. Tofu smoothies. Puddings and custards. Pumpkin pie. Lentils. Baked beans. Sausage patties.
Don't forget to try things again after a few weeks. The break may make it acceptable again. Presentation can sometimes make a difference, too. Good luck!

Megan said...

Wish I had some good advice. I just don't think I can remember that far back to what I fed my girls. I am going to need some advice for myself soon enough! When is this baby coming?