Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Jars of Kindness

We have been having a rough time speaking kindly to each other (especially in conversations between Libby and Sarah--but occasionally I have trouble with this too :).  So for FHE the other night we each got a kindness jar.  When we are kind, we get a penny in our jar.  When we are unkind we lose a penny.  It sounded like something my mom would have done with us--maybe she did.  It has been amazing how they caught on to the concept.  They are so unhappy when they have to lose a penny.  They have really worked hard on being kind.  I have even had Libby say, "No thank you Sarah,"  (then turning to me) "Now can I have a penny--I was kind!"  Or "Mommy, you are going to lose a penny if you don't turn on a movie for me (or do something else that she wants)."
Tomorrow night is the moment of truth.  The FHE where they get to go buy some treat with their pennies.  (I have long since stopped actually remembering to put pennies in the jars--better fix that!)  I think the real treat has been having them work on kindness!

No comments: