Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Surprise Date

Derek worked every night this week but one.  4 Mariners games, 1 Sounders game and a movie theater shift.  (and actually he worked the movie theater last Friday and Mariners last Saturday).  Then, when he is home between his regular shift and these night gigs, he is exhausted.  Put all of this together and there has been a lack of quality time together lately.  So I decided to surprise him.  Now I am not at all good at keeping secrets.  But I did it!  I managed to connect with Jen (adopted sister) and we decided we would go to the movie theater and see Derek and a movie on Friday.  (I forgot to tell her it was a surprise though...)  I lined up a babysitter without letting Derek know (which was pretty tricky), made cookies, got the girls and Ben in bed and headed off to the theater with some cookies for Derek.  It was hilarious how I felt.  I was so excited.  Like a high school or college girl taking cookies to a love interest.  Jen got there before me and Derek asked her what she was doing.  She said, "going to a movie with Trish."  He said, "Trish, my wife?"  I got there just after that.  It was a blast!  We didn't actually go to a movie (I wanted to see the Help, but they didn't have it) so we talked to D, went and had dessert crepes at a shop next to the theater, and then talked to Derek some more.  It was so fun to be out.  It was also fun to give my husband a happy surprise.  I am always happy to see him, but usually I am thinking more of how he can help me with the dishes, or dinner, or changing diapers.  It was nice to be reminded that I am actually still in LOVE with him!

2 comments:

MikeS said...

You just gave me a really fun idea.

Jnuck said...

Sorry for ruining your surprise! But it was a privilege to be part of your special night.