Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thoughts on Parenting

Parenting right now is so fun and challenging and frustrating and amazing.
I feel like I should record some of what I am doing so that Libby and Sarah (and Ben) can look back and laugh at what I did to get them to behave (or tried to do). I am constantly switching back and forth between the carrot and the big stick. I bribe and/or threaten about a million times a day. Here are my most popular "carrots":
A Movie (or an Episode of a show)
Candy (particularly Reese's Peanut Butter Cups)
Graham Crackers
A Story
Preschool (I do a little preschool with them and on the day of preschool they have to behave if they want to have preschool)
Hmmm...that's about it. I probably need more carrots in my bag. I would add painting, coloring, play dough except that they require more attention from me that I just can't give consistently right now.

My most frequent "sticks" (not in any particular order, because I do what fits the crime and the moment):
Spank (99% of the time just the threat works. I don't usually have to spank.)
Time out (Libby sets up the time out chair and gets herself in it when told--but it is the most hated punishment right now).
Sending toys to "time out" or the "garbage" (when doing clean up)
No Movies
(For Sarah) I will send her blankie to time out (if she won't stay in bed at night)

I am always working to pick the smart battles, the battles that are for things that matter to me most. Right now we are working on reverence during prayers (okay--at least holding still) and finishing meals without getting down. I feel pretty unsuccessful for awhile. Then somehow things click.

The other morning was amazing. Libby had been really miserable at bedtime. She cried and carried on for various reasons. When she woke up the first thing she said was, "Mommy, I am sorry I cried last night at bedtime." So cute!

No comments: