Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Few Proud Moments and Summer Goals

You know that moment when you realize Ben can now reach the counter because he reached up and pulled down 2 cooling racks full of cookies?  Yeah, that one.  Where you scream.  Then you slump down next to the fridge and cry because you needed those cookies for a young women activity?  Well, that is when you get really, really proud of your daughters.  Libby and Sarah both swarmed me with hugs and words of encouragement.  Libby asked if I would get down the broom so she could help me sweep.  They were so amazing.  I really, really hope that they did that for me because sometimes (at least) I do that for them.  What great girls I have!
I was also really proud of Libby for finishing kindergarten this week.  I was an unusual parent.  I cried after she got on the bus for the last day of kindergarten because I was so RELIEVED!  I don't have to get her on the bus for another 2 months.  It was been such a push to get her out the door every day.  Wow.  I don't think I could have survived another day of it.  On a funny note, she wore the same outfit for the last day of school and the first day.  When I came back to the house Sarah said, "Mom, what's with the crying?"  Derek got a big kick out of that.
This summer I have grand designs of working on so many things with them.  1.  Reading...Libby's school gave us access to an online resource that both the girls are loving already.  So, at least 15 minutes a day of reading, online or with me.
2.  Summer workbooks...this was a staple in my house growing up.
3.  "Skill of the week..." I took this concept from Ben's class at the Little Gym.  I am going to work on some skill with them every week.  Week 1 is pouring your own milk and making your own PBnJ.  The pouring milk thing is going to be pretty tricky, but Libby  made her own sandwich today.  Hooray!  Next is tying shoes.  After that, I will decide based on need I guess.
4.  Have fun with my kids.  I felt prompted to give up my classes at the gym.  I can't quite give up all of them, but I am down to 2.  I just need more time to be a mom.  As their lives get more chaotic, it is time for me to simplify a little.  I kind of wish there were other things I could give up, but the calling and the Rhinos aren't going anywhere for awhile, so the classes will have to.
5.  Prep our house to sell it.  We may not sell it...we need to find the perfect place before I will leave this nearly perfect place.  But we can't get more space in our house nor change our school district.  So, the search is beginning as well as the prep so that our house will sell quickly and easily when the time comes.

It is going to be a summer of chaos, but maybe slightly more organized chaos than less?

1 comment:

Linda said...

I appreciate the business of your summer. The girls helping you out like that means that they are modeling behavior they have witnessed. Good job, Mom! If you are looking for summer activities have you considered online activities instead of workbooks? We are a homeschooling family and most of our curriculum is online, so that is the first place I go to. My daughter loves to play learning games, and I don't feel bad about the computer time if it is educational. We really like Learning Games for Kids (www.learninggamesforkids.com) You might like it for summer bridge work. Good luck finding the perfect home, just remember that perfect is an ever changing goal as your children grow.