Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, June 16, 2013

My Kitchen

Since we bought this house 5 years ago, the kitchen has been in need of a few changes.  But, I knew it would be like knocking down one domino in a very large chain if I did anything, so I just let it ride.  Finally, when our stove fried out before our very ears about a month ago, I knew the time had come.  We had to do some electrical work just to get the stove (which btw, they are now called Ranges--don't try to buy a stove, or oven) disconnected (it was hardwired into the wall) and to move the outlet for the microwave so we could lift it up.  We had replaced the microwave a couple of years ago, and it was hanging kind of low over the stove.  (Ok, dangerously low.)  The new stove I finally picked was going to be too tall.  It would barely slide underneath. Luckily my dad came to help us adjust the microwave.  Then, I knew it would be time to do something about the chipping paint on the cabinets.  I called in my painter friend for a consultation.  He said something like, under no circumstance would I repaint these cabinets.  I would just buy new doors.  But, the paint kit was $75 (a special stuff for painting cabinets that shouldn't be painted called Rustoleum TRANSFORMATIONS).  New doors would have been around $6000.  Seemed like an easy choice.  In reality, while it was cheaper, the painting was all consuming and made for a pretty taxing week and a half.  BUT, they are done (except for some minor touch-ups).  I rehung the last door this morning.    Now what?  I'd love to do the flooring too, but I think we will wait awhile on that one.  I finally got the new range on Friday (by accepting a downgrade, because the one I wanted was on back order.)  So I am just going to enjoy some cooking with my new range...I need a break!
Notice that around the handles there are now no white marks where the paint is peeling.  Hopefully that will last awhile.


For the color I went with basically the same that they were before to match our ALMOND fridge--the only appliance that we haven't replaced in the kitchen...knock on wood!

No comments: