Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

A Time to Mourn

When you lose someone you love (like these 4 boys lost the 5th in their crew) it is hard.  Really hard.  I am so glad that we made the trip to CA to be with them all to say goodbye to Phil.  To give his wife a hug.  To plan the next boys' weekend.  To be reminded that friendships are so important in life.  To know that we are better people because of the amazing people that teach us.
What I took away from Phil's memorial was that he was a guy who made everyone feel like they were his best friend.  He listened.  He loved.  I felt like I was one of his close friends, and I had only been around him 4 or 5 times in my life.  
I want to be like that.  That will be my tribute to his life.  I want to be a better listener and make everyone around me feel like I love and value them (because I really do!).  This will be a stretch, since I am usually so consumed with my self and my issues.  But it will be worth it to be someone who makes others feel loved like Phil did.


No comments: