Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Grandpa Kay

I loved my grandpa.  I didn't know him well when we were young.  He worked hard and when he would come to our house he did a lot of sleeping.  But I remember well watching him rollerskate, work in his yard, and even head out on his bank run when we were visiting him. I remember how much he loved everything Samoan!
When I went to Utah State I had the privilege of living with my grandparents for 2 quarters before my mission and one quarter after.  I love my grandma, I am SO much like her it is kind of scary.  But that is another blog post.  I developed a love for my grandpa when I lived there.
I have a few favorite memories.
1-I had some kind of cold so I was drinking a whole bunch of orange juice (I already bought my own because I drank more than one small OJ glass for breakfast) and my grandma was giving me the business about how I shouldn't drink so much juice because it wouldn't help.  My grandpa stood up for me in his quiet and awesome way.
2- He worked as a sealer in the Logan temple.  My friend Shari and I wanted to go do sealings so we showed up one night on his shift.  We announced that we were there to do sealings but we didn't "have any  men."  The whole crew thought it was hilarious and my grandpa especially got a huge chuckle of it.
3-One day my car was in the shop and so I had my dad's newish Lexus.  I invited my grandpa to go for a ride.  He was excited like a kid in a candy shop!
4-My grandpa knew that we were playing hockey at the roller rink after hours, but he didn't like it very much.  (For good reason, it was a little destructive.)  So we tried to keep it a secret.  One day at Macey's grocery store I ran into my grandparents and my friend Tyler (who worked there) at the same time!  We were all chatting and I accidentally started to invite Tyler to play hockey that night.  I back pedaled and looked at my grandpa.  He shook his head and clucked a little.  But I think he was glad we were enjoying the rink.
5-When his legs weren't working as well, he had a little scooter he would drive around.  Derek and I took the kids to Logan to visit grandma and grandpa, go the USU campus, and then go camping up Logan canyon.  We decided to walk from my grandparents' house to campus.  As we got going, all of a sudden there was grandpa, scooting along with us.  It was so fun to have him along.

He was so amazing!  So hard working, and such a good example.  I picture him praying in the morning, kneeling next to the black vinyl chairs in the kitchen.  I am so blessed to have  such an amazing heritage!
Almost everyone on a visit in 2012.

Grandpa at our wedding.  He performed our sealing (wedding ceremony).

I love this picture because at any event this is where you would find grandpa, sitting with his video camera.  He loved to capture everything (and he actually watched it later!)
  

No comments: