Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Happy 4th of July!

I have always loved the 4th of July in Centerville.  I haven't been here for the 4th for a really long time, maybe even since I moved to Seattle in 2002.  It was a full day and a half of celebrations, complete with a children's parade on the eve of the 3rd, a 5k fun run in the morning, a chuck wagon breakfast, a parade, some recovery time from the heat!  Then we had a BBQ with the Thorne family (a tradition since the 1980s), and some great fireworks in the evening.  It was literally a blast!
Grandpa got to drive his tractor in the Children's Parade.  He was happier (possibly) than any other kid in the parade!  I wasn't sure if the weather was going to cooperate--just about an hour before the parade there was a huge wind blowing and some rain falling.  But it cleared up, and even though the sky looked ominous, the weather was perfect!  

The girls helped me stamp their shirts to make them 4th of July star shirts.  (I did Ben's for him :)

Never could get all 4 kids looking...

Sarah rode the 4 wheeler in the parade.  She did a great job.  There were about a thousand kids, and I didn't see her run into anyone (unlike some other kids in motorized vehicles.)

Ben's favorite new pose.

On Thursday we also prepped for our race by doing something I learned from my running coach and marathoner extraordinaire, Linda Garbo.  You need Race Nails!  

Libby rode the 4 wheeler home from the parade.  She did cheers the whole way!

All kids got a Pace's Popsicle after the race.  These are a yummy Bountiful specialty.  Ben wasn't eating his, so I took care of it for him.  He was SO unhappy when he realized it.  He even threw himself into a bush.  It had been a long week!

"Flat" ladies getting ready to race.  I had to get everything all laid out so my mom could get the girls ready during the 5k that Rachel and I were running.  

Race time!

Ready to race.  I did pretty well after a slow first mile.  I ended up finishing as the 41st woman.  Not in the top 5 in my age though.  There are some fast ladies around here!

The girls and grandma made it down.  I was so pleased with the outfit combo!  I painted on the stars to our shirts and their shirts.  

Libby was one of the first girls to finish (maybe the 1st or maybe the 2nd.  I thought she was first, but Rachel thought there was another girl just ahead of her in the pack).  Either way, she turned on her jets!

Sarah didn't do as well, but that is because at the starting line, she lost her shoe.  Poor thing!  There were a few tears. 

Ben wanted race nails too, but he only got toenails "so dad wouldn't be mad."

We watched the parade at the end of my parents' street.  It was hot!  But so fun to watch a parade with bands, dancing groups, and lots of taffy!

We did some awesome fireworks.  Ben got a little spooked.  Libby eventually went inside too.  Grandma helped them watch from her window.  

Sarah stayed out for all the fireworks!  She even helped light some.  Even if they were noisy.  



No comments: