Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Libby's STATS and other health related news...

Libby's Stats:
Height:  45" (8%)
Weight: 41 lb 6 oz (8%)
And her eyes struggled in the vision check.  Time to go back for a new prescription I think.

Well, Libby's check-up was more anticipated than most.  Near the end of school her teacher mentioned to me that she was having a really hard time focusing.  This had been a problem in the past, but I had been under the impression that she was improving this year.  Turns out, not so much.  So I had all 3 of her teachers (reading, math, and her regular classroom teacher) fill out ADHD evaluation forms.  Derek and I filled them out too.  I was comforted by all the things I could mark that she wasn't struggling with, but there were some clear things that she was struggling with.  They all relate to the ability to pay attention.
I was interested in what the doctor would say.  She compared all the forms and they were all similar.  Libby has symptoms of ADD, attention deficit but not ADHD, attention deficit and hyperactivity.  This explains why her teachers didn't bring up her issues more.  She isn't the kid going crazy in the classroom, she is just the kid being quiet and daydreaming instead of focusing on her work.
So, I have been researching options.
There are side effects to medication.  Insomnia and reduced appetite.  We already struggle in both those categories.  She uses melatonin to get to sleep almost every night and she doesn't (as you can see from her weight) like to eat.  I am wondering, however, if she had a better attention span, if she would be able to focus more on eating and get the job done.
Other ways to fix the issue?  Work on proper diet and exercise (I would say she gets plenty of exercise most days...), give her more structure.
We have just over a month until school starts.  We are thinking we will try some medication and experiment now so if it helps or doesn't, we are through with the testing before school starts.
I would really like for this to help.  She is so smart, but has a hard time showing it when she can't make herself focus!  

1 comment:

Sweet Utah said...

My vote is to at least go to a homeopathic doctor and look at some natural recommendations first. It's at least worth a try before just medicating her. I've seen medication do good things but also really bad things. I think it's always worth exploring your options.