Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, May 29, 2016

School Stuff...

This week we had 2 big school events.  Ben's kindergarten assessment (yes, he still has a Gatorade mustache in this picture).  He was so cute and excited because he got to chat with Sarah's kindergarten teacher who we love.  Then he got to play with some of the other kids who will be in his grade.  He is so ready.  It was amazing.  While the kids were being assessed, the parents got to chat with the principal and family advocate.  I listened to the group before me.  It was principal chattering awkwardly on.  He was one of my principal's when I was a teacher so I know him well.  So, our session turned into Trish asking a million questions.  It was pretty awesome and fun to be able to ask about lots of stuff I've been wondering about (relevant to other parents too, of course).  I am excited to have all the kids in school!  

It was also the Open House this week.  Sarah was going to recite "Captain Hook" by Shel Silverstein from memory.  She had cute actions planned and everything.  Then the teacher put the poem down in front of her and she read every word straight from the page without looking up and no actions.  Memorization is a lost art.  I'm frustrated that there was no expectation that she would learn it by heart.

One of Sarah's awesome pieces of art in the hallway.  

Another, this is a really strange concept.  But interesting. 

Sarah's self-portrait.

Libby's class got to do this amazing thing where they work with a professional photographer.  It is called, "My Favorite Part of Me."  They write something about that part of their body and the photographer captures it.  I love how it turned out!  
I can't believe how fast this year has gone!!

No comments: