Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Camping/Hiking Adventure: Spruces Campground

When Rachel said she wanted to camp, I found us a couple of sites up Big Cottonwood Canyon at Spruces Campground.  It was conveniently right by a moderate hike --Donut Falls.  2 birds with one stone! 
Well, this reminded me how out of practice I am with recreating.   It took us a long time to get out on our way.  It also took us a long time to find parking at the hike trailhead--especially for my dad with the tent trailer.  It is hard to coordinate when there is no cell service.  We need walkie talkies for such adventures.  But we finally all made it and started hiking an hour after the first group got to the trailhead.  It was a lovely hike--but actually required some stream fording and bouldering at the end.  We weren't totally prepared for that.  But I forded the stream in my chacos and brought the kids across.  My mom was a rockstar!  We didn't go all the way up to the falls--and there were so many people crowding up at the end of the trail before you really had to boulder up.  We did stop for a picture before we headed back down.  Brian for the win because he brought snacks. Different kids melted down at different times (Rachel's Davy had the hardest time--so I'm glad it was her idea we did this and not mine).  But we all made it.


We made it! 

From the hike we headed to our campground.  My dad's tent trailer wouldn't fit into the trailer site we reserved, but luckily the one next to it was available so he fit in that one. 
That site had a stream right next to it.  The kids had a blast playing around the stream and some getting more or less soaked.  (Tacey got especially wet--but just kept playing).  Nick, Drea (and kids) and Davy came up for parts of the evening.  



We only had one camping fail, really.  That was the air mattress I borrowed from my dad to replace the one of ours that was leaking had a bigger leak (and our tent was set up on rocks).  So we took some cushions from the tent trailer for Ben (they were too small for me).  But he slid down in between them.  Poor guy.  It was chilly at night and we could have had more layers.  We were all pretty tired by the time we took camp down.  We ate delicious food and enjoyed each other's company.  

I got to chill out at my parents' house for the afternoon (and do some shopping).  Dave took my kids on an Uncle Davy adventure to Antelope Island and R&R BBQ.  We did have a really scary moment though.  My mom was trying to get the dresser drawers all spray painted that she had been working on.  She was coming in and out of the house many times.  I was sitting at the kitchen table and heard her miss the last step and go down flat out on her belly on the cement patio.  It was so scary.  She was upset and rattled.  Her face was bleeding in a couple of spots.  She was embarrassed/frustrated as well as hurt.  But she got up, stopped the bleeding and went back to spray painting.  She is one determined woman!  She was ready to go walking again on Friday! 

Recreating is hard work!  

No comments: