Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, February 26, 2012

President's Day Adventure

I am NOT a spontaneous person.  I want to be, it seems like a fun way to live life.  But I struggle with even a hint of spontaneity.  But, on Monday I had a rare burst of spontaneous energy.  On the way home from the gym (at about 11:30) I was thinking about what I could do for a President's Day themed Family Home Evening.  I remembered the awesome statue of George Washington at the UW.  So, I called Derek and we made plans to go after he got home from practice, at about 3 pm.  This worked out great because we first stopped at Super Jock n Jills so I could get new running shoes while he drove around Green Lake with the kids.  (So I guess it isn't all that spontaneous because we made the plans several hours before we left and I accomplished an errand on the way, but this is ME we are talking about.)  Then we went to campus and walked around.  I forgot just how AMAZING the UW campus is.  WOW.  It was so beautiful in the dusky rainy evening.  Libby and Sarah were enthralled with the Suzzallo Library.  We took them to the reading room and Libby just covered her mouth in joy and shock at such an amazing space.
When we went to see George (I forgot how high up the statue is) Libby asked if he was dead.  Then asked if he died right there.  It was hilarious and so fun to have our kids on a college campus.  (Sowing some seeds :)  Then we had dinner at one of our favorite spots on the AVE, Schultzy's. Yum.
I had to change a diaper on the floor of a restroom, and in fact I visited the restroom at Schultzy's about 6 times during dinner (it seems) but it was a blast.  I should take my family to do fun things more often!   


Posted by Picasa