Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, June 24, 2012

New York!

When Derek's friend Adam (who was a best man at our wedding) decided to get married in NY (well Jersey City actually) the week of our 9th anniversary we decided we had to go.  My parents agreed to come and watch the kids, so we went!  6 days with no children!  We did miss them, but we were glad that we didn't try to do the trip with them.  NY is a tough place to drag kids around.  We watched others doing it and were thankful that we weren't attempting it.  I have been to NY before, and my first impression was about right.  It is still HOT and SMELLY and BUGGY.  But, it was fun to see it with Derek who LOVES NY.  
My goals for the trip were to rest a lot, eat when I was hungry, sit down when I was tired, and see a bit of NY.  Well, I got pretty tired walking around the city, but other than that, I think I accomplished my goals! The wedding was in Liberty Park just across the water from NY.  The skyline was amazing.  We had a picture of us taken there, we will hopefully get it and I can post it.  I also don't have the pics from Derek's phone, so I might have to do another NY post.  
Here are our seat at the Yankee's game. Pretty sweet, huh?  AND...

They have padded seats!  I love this innovation!  Too bad no home runs came our way.  


NJ 911 Monument--It looks across to NY to where the Twin Towers once stood and has the names of all those from NJ who lost their lives that day.  Pretty powerful.   But Derek and I were amazed at how many people smile and pose by these monuments.  Seems a bit disrespectful.   

911 Memorial in NY.  It was incredible.  There are two of these waterfall monuments.  One in each of the foundation bases of the towers that fell.  The number of people who lost their lives is so crazy.  I shed a tear or several here, especially when I read the names of the police officers.  

The view from our hotel in Jersey City--the WESTIN.  We stayed there the first 2 nights.


From the Island where the Statue of Liberty stands looking back at NY.  (Notice how sunburned we are getting.  Ouch).

The Majestic Lady

Right by our second hotel, in Chelsea was a "Cafe Prague".  We got svichova and smazeny syr!  The svichova was good.  The fried cheese was okay.  I got to listen to the mom and son speaking Czech.  That was super fun.  

We spent several hours in the Met one day.  They have an awesome French display.  This was Louis XIV's desk!

We had to eat some soul food--Miss Maude's.  Yum. And the server was hilarious!

This was Derek's Reuben sandwich at Katz's deli (the one in When Harry Met Sally).  It was the yummiest food we ate the whole time I think.  

My mug shot at the Police Museum.  Their tribute to the officers who lost their lives in 911 had me almost sobbing.  It was really powerful.  

Derek giving the side view.

We saw "Nice Work if you can get it" with Matthew Broderick.  It was fantastic!  

1 comment:

Emily said...

Wow, serious jealousy. I love NYC and everything about it. JC has never been so it would be such a fun trip to do sans kids. There's a neighborhood in Queens called Little Romania and you would swear you were smack in the middle of Bucharest--kiosks on the street and everyone speaking Romanian. Fun NYC memories. Are your parents for hire to watch our kids too? :)