Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Finished Room #2

After I finished the girls' room I told myself I wouldn't do another room until after the holidays (or maybe even until after wrestling season).  But then I realized we were hosting Derek's 1st Watch Christmas party and our main floor powder room was in bad shape.  Libby had started picking at the wall paper.  Every time she went in to do her business, she would tear a little more from a seam that was coming apart.  So, I decided to go for it.  I started going after the wall paper and I ordered a new countertop.  The wallpaper removal was really awful.  I didn't do the best job patching the walls either.  I got too tired.  I wasn't going to do the ceiling at first.  I thought I would leave the gold since I couldn't figure out a way to find out if it had paint under it without ruining it.  In a flash of inspiration I realized I could take of the ceiling fan and probably see under the wallpaper.  Sure enough, I discovered paint under the gold.  I was really glad I removed the gold because I found some nasty black mold above the toilet.  (Probably due to moisture from the toilet above, but the drywall seemed intact and fine.  Now that we have removed the carpet from the bathroom above and replaced the toilet, I think it will be fine.)
Before...wallpaper on every surface, even gold on the ceiling.  


When I was working and I found this, I felt hopeful that there might be paint under some of the wallpaper.  Sure enough, under 2 walls (the smaller ones of course) there was paint!  So much easier to remove wallpaper from walls that have paint underneath.  400 times easier.
TA DA!  Everything is new or repainted.  I spray painted the mirror edges and the pulls on the cabinet.  I painted the cabinet with Rustoleum cabinet transformations.  New countertop, new faucet, new trim on the window thing (we had to remove the old to get the countertop in).  New toilet, new towel rack, new toilet paper holder, new light fixture.  Only the floor remained the same.  

Geneva found these perfect Christmas towels.  Once Christmas is over I will have to get some actual art to hang in here.  But for now, empty frames wrapped with Christmas wrapping are perfect!  

Where the star baskets are is where the clock goes that I based my color scheme on.  Only one problem--the clock doesn't keep time.  Yikes.  Back to hobby lobby to see if a replacement will work.  Hopefully they still have one.  

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! What a transformation. Your finished result looks fantastic! Consider it a Christmas present to yourself.

Laney said...

It looks so good!! Such an improvement!! Nice work.