Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Halls are Decked

I had so much fun decorating this house for Christmas.  It is so awesome when your decorations don't make your house feel over full!  Here are some pics of my work.  I had lots of times where I felt stuck--but then inspiration would flow.  I take these pictures in part so I cam remember what I did when I go to decorate for next year.  We hosted Derek's work party on Friday night, there were at least 50 people here for that.  Now I host book club this week and a giant carolling party on the 23rd.  So, all the effort is worth it if our home feels welcoming at the holidays!
Entryway.  Thanks to Cathy Thomas for the beautiful glass block nativity scene.

Christmas picture collage along with our advent calendar.  I had this great idea of doing a reverse advent calendar.  Each day we write down things we have done to help others and put in the number and we put candy inside the stocking.  Then on Christmas we can eat to celebrate the good feelings we have had preparing for Christmas.  Worked for 1 day.  We have been too busy to even think about it since.  But it is a good idea, right?

I LOVE receiving Christmas cards.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

A little star grouping including our Christmas card for this year.  

Even the TV got a little decor.  These are flickering flame lights.  LOVE them.  

Garland over the sunroom window.  Needed some lights.  Never got them.  

I also love framing wrapping paper.  

Solution to the garland dilemma.  I have about 31 feet of railing and the nice pre-lit costco garland can only have 28 feet attached together.  I stewed over this one for a week or so before I realized I could add zip ties, bows and ornaments to stretch it out a bit.  Perfect (or as close to it as I could get).

Another dilemma was how to hand wreaths on the doors because they are too tight for over the door wreath hangers, and I did not want to make holes in my doors.  Ribbon over the top of the door just fit.  There is a command hook at the top on the other side that I tied a big bow over to keep it up.  (Don't know if that makes sense, but it works!)

I kind of wanted garland outside too, but figured that would be overkill.  So I used these bows and some presents on the porch.  One amazing surprise was that there was an outlet up high on the house just perfect for Christmas lights.  I just put up one simple strand of lights across the top and had just enough to wind it around the porch and tie into the presents on the porch floor.  

I couldn't figure out how to hang stockings.  But then I realized I could keep the ribbon theme going.  I hung cup hooks from the ceiling for each stocking.  

We got this amazing tree for free from a friend of the family.  Yes!

The nativity

One of my favorite pieces of our holiday decor, our Christmas cards from years past on display.  

Clark came in and even said he loved the wrapped frames.  This was his favorite.  

No comments: