Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, December 29, 2013

How to Blog Christmas?

I think what I should do next year is blog every day during Christmas.  There is so much going on!  So many hilarious things being said.  So many big events.  But I will try to sum up as best I can.  I have asked for help in remembering the best quotes from the others who were here, so more great quotes will be added.

Let's start with the WHO of this Christmas:  We were planning on hosting my brother Dave and my parents.  We were so excited when my sister Rachel and her husband Brad got enough time off of work to join us too.  It was SO fun to have a house full of Randalls!  We also had a visit from one of Derek's best friend (the one who lives in NJ).  He announced that he quit his job and he and his wife and son are moving to Seattle.  Best news!

WHAT was so fun?  My plan to get through the season was to take everything one party at a time.  That worked well until I had parties 3 nights in a row.  It was intense.  We got to host the annual caroling party  on the 23rd, comprised of families that were very close to Derek growing up.  I tried to get out of the actual caroling (and as usual) Derek guilted me into it.  But I was glad I went.  We went to a great group of families (who I know now, due to the ward change).  After the party everyone enjoyed snacks and treats at our house.  The next night was Christmas Eve, and I was hosting dinner and the program.  I made a written program so I wouldn't forget anything.  It was really fun and a bit wild.  Randall style.  Nortons were a bit surprised, but played right along.  My favorite quote of the night was when Libby (I think) said "Maren, you have fluffy hair, you can be the sheep!"  I really wished that Santa had brought Libby a microphone stand before the program, but we managed with human microphone holders.  The nativity was fun and the best part (for some of us at least) was "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree with DJ Dave"-- a dance party.  Even my dad and Maren showed us some moves.  Clark found the TV and turned on some football as fast as he could.  But you can't have an event in the ballroom and not do any dancing!

Christmas Morning is an event in and of itself.  It was intense for me.  Santa brought me the dyson vacuum I have been wanting!  But the intense part is watching and worrying if all the other gifts are making everyone else happy.  Ben LOVED his hulk doll.  Would have been happy not opening anything else.  Libby loved the microphone stand and Sarah loved the easel.  Whew.  The clothes they got (that they really need) fit more or less (nothing fits Libby if you ask her except the twirling jammies from grammy Geneva).  Derek liked the Husky flag I got for our flag pole and played right away with the Legos Santa brought Ben.  Then we headed to brunch at the Nortons.  It is always a whirlwind of unwrapping there.  We came home with sketchbooks, Barbies, a Husky shirt for me, a whole Husky outerwear outfit for Derek, etc.  I wish I could do a better job of taking it all in.  It gets super overwhelming for me.  I got a little testy, I admit.  Especially when Derek suggested that I shouldn't do the calendar I put so much time and effort into for the last few years.  I kind of freaked out on him.  When I got home I was venting to my mom and a few tears were leaking.  Ben said, "Mommy, are you crying?"  "Yes I am Benny, I think I need a kiss!"  So he walked straight to the bowl where we collected the food from the stockings and he brought me a Hersey kiss.  He unwrapped it and made me eat it.  So adorable!

The favorite gift overall I think was a Wii from Uncle Davey.  The girls not only love playing it (they aren't great, but they love to bowl) they also love to watch Dave play Mario.  They were so into it, "Jump now!  Watch out for that, run faster," etc.  Derek initially was a bit taken aback, but I think now he is a big fan of the Wii too.

The hardest part of Christmas is of course when everyone leaves.  Rachel and Brad left while we were at the Norton home.  I drove my parents to the airport at 2:00.  It was  a bit of a let down, but more events were still to come!

Derek decided a few weeks before Christmas that he wanted to cook a prime rib for Christmas dinner.  I happily handed over the whole meal to him.  (Which he was a little unclear about, but anyway)...Our ovens cook very hot, so he got it a little more done than he was hoping to.  But it was yummy anyway.  And, it made AMAZING french dip the next day.

I guess I would say I am relieved the Christmas is over.  But I am sad too.  I have spent the last few days undecorating.  This revealed how much work I have to do in terms of decorating this house for normal life.  But one party still to go, New Year's EVE!

Libby with the Grandpas

Libby with the Grandmas

Two of the best Aunties in the world!

Trying to get a family photo...

The nativity cast.  Libby as Mary, Brad as Joseph, Sarah as the Angel, Maren and Grandma Geneva as sheep.  Rachel and Grandma Debbi as shepherds.  

Grandpa Kelly in his Night Before Christmas outfit

Grammy with the twirling PJs

Ben with Hulk.  He is wearing 2 pairs of PJs in this picture.  As he opened his other clothes, he wanted those on too.  By the end of the morning, he was wearing 4 shirts and 2 pairs of pj bottoms.  

A MIC STAND!

AN EASEL!

Libby really wanted a life size nutcracker.  Santa may have forgotten about that.  Luckily at the last minute, he found these!

Wii boxing!

Maren and Sarah
The program for Christmas Eve
Libby's Note for Santa--Actually Mrs. Claus, since Mrs. Claus wrote her a letter with a list of some ways to deal with nightmares (we are having a terrible time with nightmares right now.  Yuck!)
Santa's reply to Libby and the Norton kids

All Huskied OUT!

No comments: