Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Great Loss

This week on Tuesday we found out that one of Derek's best friends from kindergarten on was killed trying to save another man that was trying to commit suicide by train.  In the end he did save the suicidal man, but lost his own life.  When Derek came home from practice early that day, he was sobbing.  It is seriously a heartbreaking loss.  The kids and I left to go to the gym and I taught my classes in a fog.  Life is so fragile.  I feel blessed to have the gospel and blessed to have an amazing family.  But that doesn't insulate us from pain.  
Ben helped lighten the mood when we got home from the gym.  He went up to Derek who was in the office looking at the many posts on facebook remembering Phil.  Ben said, "Dad, you were crying and that isn't okay.  Big boys don't cry."  Derek had to smile.  It is hard to remember that the one we have lost would want us to be happy, not mournful.  
This is what Derek posted on facebook yesterday:
I am amazed and saddened at the selflessness that Philip showed in the final seconds of his life. Who knows what that other man was doing on the tracks? Phil didn't judge. He acted. He reached out and saved a life at the cost of his own. I miss him and always will but every time I remember him I will be reminded to reach out and help, to be kind, to be selfless. Thank you Phil for the life you lived and the legacy you have now left behind so abruptly.

I am not so selfless.  I told Derek that his job is come home at the end of every day...We will be going to the memorial next week.  Praying for strength!
Mercury News Story on Phil
Daily Mail article from England
Santa Clara News


1 comment:

Sweet Utah said...

I read this religiously in case you didn't know, but I'm really bad at comments because I'm usually pulling it up on my phone. I'm so glad you posted this! Such a sad thing, but so amazing to see how much good someone has inside of them.

We love you guys and miss you so much!