Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, August 23, 2015

A Wet and Wild Week

This week I got to get in the pool!  It was TOOO cold to "water walk."  So I swam a bit.  And then a bit more, and a bit more.  It felt so good.  I kept my kicks little tiny and it felt great.  I also walked a bit more each day until I have been up and about all week.  And it was all good.  Until Friday night.  Then things got uglyish when I wore shoes with a heel so small I didn't realize they had a heel to a wedding reception.  Then on Saturday was the bubble walk (I mean run).  And today I am in pain.  Pain so reminiscent of the pre-surgery pain I am nervous that the surgery didn't fix the problem.  But I'm telling myself it is just inflammation because I'm an idiot who can't stop moving.  Hopefully if I take it really really easy this week I can get it to calm down again.

And, we had another fun injury around here this week too!  Every year my lawyer sister-in-law hosts a party for her firm.  We've never been invited.  This year, we are there for 30 minutes and Sarah rolled backward down the bouncy house slide and landed on her wrist.  Derek called it as broken from the minute she came in crying.  And he was right.  At least it wasn't a lawyer's kid.  So once again this summer, Sarah is laid up.  Poor girl.  She takes it all in stride.
Sarah's arm.  This is her 3rd time being x-rayed this summer.  Poor kid.  (The first two were a jammed toe).  This time, as soon as I saw the x-ray I could see the "buckle fracture" near her wrist.  But the good news is that it is the most "stable" type of fracture, so she only has to wear a splint.  Hooray.  

After 2 solid weeks of swimming lessons Ben passed to Preschool 2, Libby to Level 3 and Sarah got so much better it was awesome to watch.  Sarah would have done Level 2 again and passed for sure!  But instead she will watch from the pool side.  The doctor said she could play in the pool if it felt okay, but probably not actually swim.  

The girls finished 7 weeks of gymnastics this week too.  They enjoyed it.  I am not enjoying trying to figure out how to get Libby registered for fall gymnastics.  They make it so stinking hard to get into, it is super annoying.  

Ben's gymnastics coach.  He really liked her, after he got used to the idea of having a coach tell you what to do instead of the indoor playground.  

Here we are looking happy before the bubble run.  This is before we have 19,000 people there with us, and no staggered start times.  So we just have to stand and wait.  UGH.  

Clark took Libby with him for the run, and they did a fair amount of running.  Clark carried Libby through the bubbles so she got lots of color on her shirt.  

Sarah was REALLY unhappy about the big line.  The wait was just about too much for her.  And when Maren tried to get her to run it was WAY too much for her.  But once she started walking with Auntie Alayne and I, it was all smiles.  We still had to prod her along...but it was fun.  

I spent some time just watching runners on the course waiting for Alayne to get done with the out and back part of the course.  I also went around all the bubbles.  I was too afraid of falling!

Libby at the end.  She got the  most color, for sure! 

All of us, glad to be done.
As I told Maren, "It wasn't the worst morning I've ever spent.." But I certainly won't do it again.  I heard someone saying they should call it the Bubble Herd, or the Bubble Walk.  But it certainly wasn't a fitness event!

No comments: