Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Centerville 4th of July 2018

The 4th of July gets its own post because it was so full.  My kids refuse to stay in Seattle for the 4th because Centerville is so much more fun.
I bought Luke the perfect gift for the 4th of July!  Sweet outfit dude! 

Ruger wasn't so sure about this new scooter thing.  Devin enjoyed it though! 

Getting ready to roll for the Children's Parade. 



I was proud I remembered their scooters this year.  Last year we had to buy new ones. 

All the kids basically looking at the camera.  For at least a second. 

Kids done looking at the camera.  Uncle Davey pulled the wagon.  Thank goodness for shade on the route.  It was so hot! 

Devin wanted some red lipstick like the rest of the ladies.  Libby suggested we tell him we were giving him red and just put on clear chapstick.  Pure genius.  He didn't even question it.  

We looked amazing!  

Adoring fans along the parade route. 
The concert was one of my favorite bands from my Utah days, Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband.  I hung out with the band a few times back in the day, and went to many many shows.  It was fun to see how they have changed, and how they haven't.  I bought 2 shirts and a CD.  

 Uncle Davey asked who was in for running the 5K the morning of the 4th.  Notice who is NOT pictured in this early morning shot?  Yep.  Uncle Davey.  This brave crew walked the route, except for our exceptional bursts of running on the downhill.  Lots of laughter.  Between Rachel with her security tag still on her shorts, and Drea with her fashionable but inappropriate shoes, we got a laughter workout in addition to the walking/running.  And, we were not last!  It was so fun. 
 We literally got to the run right as it was starting.  So I didn't get a chance to go to the bathroom before hand.  Luckily, my parents' house is just a couple of houses down at the 1/2 way point.  So I sprinted down and used the bathroom so I could finish the race.  I had to run to catch up with this bunch. 

 After the run is the awesome parade.  So much candy.  And otter pops.  My favorite was the dance and drill teams.  Not as many as there used to be, but there are some.  Good times.



 The Viewmont Wrestlers had  fun idea.  They had a giant dumbell for kids to lift.  Loved this! 
 My dad rigged up a great umbrella for shade.
 Super Parade Spectators!
 After the parade, we hung with the Thorne family, like we have every year forever.  But the best part is they were all there too!  So we got to reunite the whole clan.  Friends since I was about 5 probably?  The funny part is that their son that is my age, lives about 45 minutes south of us here in WA.  But we have to go all the way to UT to see them.  Busy lives!

My mom had the idea of a 4th of July program before the fireworks.  It was fun, some singing, some fiddling, some dancing, and some storytelling.  My mom told stories about her dad and his military service that were very sweet.  I'd never heard before about he was the oldest guy in his regiment.  They all called him Pop and loved him.  When he was injured they were all devastated because they loved him so much.  I learned a lot about my family this trip.   




 Dave is playing the Guitele that he gave to Libby.  I am teaching her to play it.  So fun.
Then we began the fireworks.  Utah has made a whole bunch of crazy aerial fireworks legal.  To say we had some misfires is an understatement.  It was crazy fun/scary fun.  I was glad when it was over.  Hopefully we learned a few lessons about how to stabilize the fireworks so they don't tip and shoot at ground level. 

 Sparklers and the sword fireworks were a big hit.
 The show ended with my dad putting out a fire in the bushes.  Yikes.
Seriously, this is legal! 

No comments: