Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, July 29, 2018

SWIMMERS!

When I decided to have the kids participate on a swim team this summer, I didn't know how much they would like it.  I remember in 6th grade going to a swim team practice with a friend and almost dying.  It was hard!  But I figured that my kids LOVE to swim.  And this is a very recreational league.  It wouldn't be like my experience where I just showed up mid-season and tried to hang with the team.  This group would help my kids work up to swimming laps.  And it has been amazing!  The kids have loved it.
They love swimming laps, they love their coaches. They love learning new strokes.  They maybe don't love getting up for an 8 am practice.  But absolutely no regrets.  We are all going to be sad when it is over. 
The meet last weekend was at Yost Pool.  When Libby was born we lived just around the corner from this pool, and we never went there--until now! 

About to start warm ups.  

Ben's classmate Daphne is on his team.  She's a good little swimmer! 

Ben is still working on his butterfly, it is a combo breaststroke/butterfly/freestyle.  

Sarah taking off from the wall. 


Libby making a turn. 

So at swim meets, you write all their info on their arms so they can keep track of what Event, Heat & Lane they are in.  It's crazy!  Yesterday I was in charge of staging.  Getting all the kids in the right order is a bit of a circus.  But we did it!

Sarah has a amazing butterfly.  (Which is amazing to me, because butterfly seems super hard!) She barely missed 1st place in her butterfly heat.  

Libby absolutely rocked her backstroke yesterday.  She was just a hair behind the girl who took 1st. 

This is Ben with his coach Richard.  Ben won two heats yesterday and got two of these Gator necklaces.  He said he won one of the heats because one of the kids from the other team said, "I'm going to beat you."  So Ben determined to beat that kid no matter what! 

No comments: