Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Backyard Bean

This summer we were hoping to do some major projects.  But, Derek's injury meant that we had to slow our roll.  We started into one that we thought wouldn't be that expensive.  Ha!  I was involved.  Of course it was going to get expensive.
The end result is pretty beautiful though.  I can relax and enjoy my last month of summer, right?
This is a sort of before picture.  You can see one of the rhodies that was in "Bean" (Ben named the old pond Bean because it is shaped like a kidney bean). 
We paid for several hours of amazing workers (two former wrestlers and our gardener) to help pull out the old bushes and grind the stumps. 

 Anne Ducey helped me clear the area of weeds, level it, and shovel in 1.5 yards of bark and build the swing.
 Ben, Libby and Sarah helped too.  I paid them $1.00 an hour + Menchies.  We were trying to finish it before Derek got home from Japan. 
 The finished swing.  And the happy Menchie's eaters. 


 Right before we left for Utah, Anne Ducey helped my pick the plants and potted them for me.  I tried out a different set where the two chairs are.  I didn't like them and returned them.  In the process I managed to leave my credit card at the store.  Of course someone went ahead and tried to use it.  Ugh.
Then after cancelling credit card (and all the work that entails) I bought these two chairs unfinished (because it seemed like no big deal to paint them).  Um, it was a big deal.  Royal pain and don't look closely.  But the project is done.  Now hopefully next summer we can replace the shed behind them. 




The view from the swing.  Nice, huh?

No comments: