Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Homeschooling??

I am so not ready to be a homeschool mom.  But I decided on a strategy that will work for all 3 kids and me.  And I can live with it.
I created a schedule or outline for them to follow.
It has all the subjects including art, science, pe, music, reading, writing.
  Homeschool Schedule
Libby made herself a new one (she of course didn't like mine) that broke the day down into the 6 periods.  (Which is actually a win because she got on the computer and started typing and thinking--all that I'm really after here.)

All kids have to do something in each category (and make their plan for the next day) before they can have screen time.  So here's how it goes.  Ben, diligently works through his subjects, doing something in each one with recess breaks.  Checks everything off.
 Sarah:  Reads.  Does some work.  Reads some more.  Recess.  More reading.
Libby: Tries to avoid the whole thing by staying on the trampoline most of the day.

Since my true motivation is having them learn something, and to not get hounded for screen time all day, I'm calling it a win so far.  They have enjoyed so much time together (on the trampoline, having picnics, etc.).  They have had some serious-ish squabbles too.  But overall, it is working out.  They are supposed to do an hour of Home Ec (helping mom time) and the day we all worked on wallpaper scraping together was probably my favorite. 

I did teach a writing lesson (I think I'm going to teach one lesson each day that fits into one of the subjects) that we all enjoyed.






And I'm teaching Ben to play the guitar.  So fun.
We are going to make it.  And there will be some learning too! Learning to avoid schoolwork is another way of learning, right?

No comments: