Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Uncharted Territory

Well, if I thought last week was bad...this week was...well, unprecedented.  I just keep saying that word because that is what is going on.  We have a horrible bug going around that seems to have a LONG incubation time.  And lives for a LONG time on surfaces.  And is fatal for people who are older, especially with compromised immune systems.  And cases just keep growing.  So we have to stop people from interacting.  And cross our fingers and hope that it works.
Because we haven't really faced a challenge like this exactly.
So, school is closed.  When we left school on the 11th of March, we thought it was until the 27th.  Then, on Friday, they decided that we need 6 weeks.  I felt so shocked.  Both times.  But now I am in a weird zombie like state.  This can't be real.  I can't  really be getting paid for 6 weeks of teaching that I'm not doing?  I can't really be home with all 3 kids for 6 weeks?
I can see so many things that I could do.  But what I really want is for life to go back to normal.  But will it ever?  Can we ever feel safe in a large group of people again?  YIKES!

Well, we decided (again) to live on the wild side and we went to Canada.  I felt a little guilty leaving when I guess it is possible we are carrying the virus.  But no one had a fever (and no one does now).  So we took advantage of the random time off (Derek took only 1 extra day), and we went to Victoria.  We hadn't been back since our honeymoon.  It was lovely to be away from the paranoia and insanity.  It was mostly business as usual in Canada.  Delicious restaurants and an open hotel pool.  The weather was cold but mostly sunny.  So today is the first day I am really home and staring down the barrel of 6 weeks without my normal routine.  I guess that's long enough to establish a new normal.
Buchart Gardens

Buchart Gardens

Someone was VERY unhappy about going to the Gardens in the cold.  (It really wasn't that bad.)  

Pink Bicycle

Natural History Museum

Breakfast.  So yummy!  Best breakfast ever I think. 


The hotel pool. 


Swanky bathrobes. 

Derek's souvenir (Shakespearean insults)

The Parliament

This store was called Oscar and Libby's ;)

Queen Victoria! 

The Empress

So fun to be all together !

I did start some yard work!  Wednesday Night I got to busy on the flower beds! Before! 

The after picture isn't showing up.  But it looked much better, including the zen rocks ;)  I've got this. 

No comments: