Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Spy Satellite Parenting

Lots of things are different with my 3rd child.  I have 3 now.  I can't be the same kind of helicopter that I was for the other two.  I have decided that I am much more like a spy satellite.  I cruise by each child at least once every 3 hours or so to make sure they are still alive.  Ben has explored pretty much every corner of the back yard on his own.  He discovered that there is a drop off on one side of the yard and got a few scratches in the process.  His diaper this morning was a little grainy from the dirt he ingested yesterday. I have a hard time figuring out his health issues sometimes because I have to slow down a little more in order to even think about what day he started to have these night wake-ups.  I guess it is okay.  Some people manage to have 6 or even 12 children and everyone survives.  Just like spy satellite, I can be redirected to areas of conflict or areas that need extra attention, right?
Here is why I have a hard time vacuuming.  I have to do it when he is awake or it might wake him, but then he loves to get in front of the vacuum and pat it, or chase it around.  Apparently he also chased the lawn mower last night when Derek was mowing the lawn.  He is very interested in how things work, especially machines.  Maybe a little engineer?

Ben getting his first (very short) ride on Daddy's back.

Ben coming up the stairs from outside.  Libby came to get me and said I "HAD TO CHECK IT!"  Ben was standing up posing on the step.  I couldn't get my camera out fast enough though.  

No comments: