Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Family Time at the Funeral

I think my grandpa would have enjoyed his funeral, which is how it should be.  There were some light moments, and some great praise of a good man.  His children each spoke and shared what they loved about their dad.  His 1st and favorite mission president spoke.  Then we ate ham and funeral potatoes.  The best part was that all 22 of his grandchildren were together in one room for the first time ever.  We made a quick stop at the cheese factory on the way to the graveside service.  At the cemetery, the little girls found lots of random flowers (from other graves) to add to his coffin.  Oh my.
Then all 22 grandkids, his 4 children, all the spouses and great grandkids came to my parents house for popcorn and hot cocoa.  2 of his favorite foods. My sister remembered that he told her once that when my grandma was out of town he and their dog (named popcorn) would eat popcorn for breakfast, popcorn for lunch, and popcorn for dinner.  I believe it.  We also drank rhubarb juice and ate ice cream.  The only thing we didn't do is pour fruit juice (or fruit) over our popcorn.  That was one of his favorites.
My grandma has pretty serious dementia.  But she said a few things that really touched me/helped me see how she was really feeling.
My first interaction was when I hugged her and said, "How are you doing grandma?"  She said, "I am going to be lonely for a long time..."  I said, "I think he will come for you grandma. You won't have to wait too long."
When we were leaving the viewing, she said, "Where is my husband?"  We all looked past her at the casket.  She said with sadness, "Oh, he's gone isn't he."
But here is my favorite that shows her fire.
"I am going to miss him.  We worked together, we prayed together, we served missions together and now he left me.  Just wait until I get my hands on him!"

My favorite pictures of the day:
Em and Soren

Nick and Drea

Ben wrestling James.  Takedown for 2.

Brad and Rachel

My cousin Wes flew from TX with his little guy Desmond

All 22 grandkids

The last time we had a picture with almost all of us I was maybe 11.  Wes was in the front row making a face similar to the one we are all making here.  

Our family--all together!

My sibs

My dad and his sibs.  James, Myrna, ArVae, Kelly

Grandma joins the kids for a picture.  She was really having a hard time with the whole thing.  

My kids, the grave robbers.  

No comments: