Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Skating for Grandpa Kay

We had an insane day yesterday.  Bodystep, Dance Pictures, quick lunch, Dance class, and then on to a roller skating birthday party for one of Libby's friends.  I didn't know if I could do it all.  (That may not sound crazy, but consider the 4 wardrobe changes required there...)  (Plus, I am potty training Ben...yikes.)
But I have been wanting to skate so badly!  So we went.  Just smelling the skates and the atmosphere reminded me so much of Logan and my amazing grandparents.  Turns out my kids are more Norton than Randall when it comes to skating.  I have made a resolve to go at least once a week this summer.  I did skate on the "adult fast skate"  I was the only non-employee and the only female.  I didn't go as fast as they did.
Anyway, taking 3 who can't skate skating was a circus that seemed to have more than 3 rings.  But we made it home in one piece.
Sarah did the most independent skating.  She got out there on the floor and made a couple of small circles--somewhat against the flow of traffic, but she did it!  Then she started freaking out about wanting some jewelry from one of the change machines.

I put Ben's skates on first, figuring he wouldn't go anywhere.  I then stood him against a wall and told him he could walk along the wall.  When I looked up from putting my skates on, he was already all the way along the wall and heading out onto the skating floor.  Yikes!  I caught him just before he fell.  After that he wanted to hold my hand the whole time.  And pretty much started freaking out.  He was a tired young man.  

Pretty fabulous outfit, right?  He wet his pants at the gym and I didn't have a spare pair of shorts.  These are loaners from the gym.  He managed to wet his pants at the skating rink too...right onto the seat of one of the car video games.  Ugh.  Not doing a very good job of watching him.  

Libby with Mia and Isabelle.  Mia (the tall blonde) is Libby's best school friend.  This picture gives you a sense of how big most of her classmates are...All of Libby's friends were pretty good skaters.  This did not help Libby's attitude or willingness to try.  She made me take her skates off.  Then What did the Fox Say came on and she wanted to get out there again so I put them back on.  She made it all the way around a couple of times with hands on the wall.  Trying new things is not something she enjoys right now.    

1 comment:

Debbi said...

So great you did this. The important stuff isn't usually convenient, and is seldom easy, right? Love you!