Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Enjoying Summer Part 2

So remember how I was planning to Enjoy Summer and not get obsessed with home projects.  WWWEELLL....I then realized that the girls have cheer camp this week so I could get some quality time in with my wallpaper steamer.  It has been 7+ months since I did my last steaming.  My automatic gag reflex when I smell wallpaper paste has subsided.  I think it is a little like how about 18 months after you have a baby you have conveniently forgotten just how bad pregnancy and labor actually were?  Anyway, I decided to go after Ben's room.  I actually got a little ahead of schedule and started the work on Friday.  I am learning.  I am getting better at saturating the paper with the water/vinegar solution on each layer (there was a hidden one that was a bit discouraging when I found it--but there is paint underneath 3 walls as I suspected).
I also realized I can "watch" stuff out of the corner of my eye on the iPad and that keeps me distracted while I work.
The main thing I have realized is that if they would have left up the original wallpaper, the layer that went up in 1965, this house would be TOTALLY in style.  If only I could remove the top layer with out damaging the bottom!  Of course in this room it still wouldn't work since Ben shouldn't really have flowered walls.  Even though he wants them.  This project could take a month or more...I am still not sure what the finished product will look like.  So stay tuned.
Ben's response when he saw me starting to remove stuff from his room.  He is screaming "put my stuff back!  I want my flowers..."  Once he realized I was moving his toys into the room where Paige had been sleeping, he happily (well--after a nap) settled down to play in his temporary room.  

The bottom layer of wall paper on one wall.  The other wall I have already done was just the tan and white with no flowers. I know that there is some sweet pink flower paper on the bottom on the last wall.  (I am saving the one where I know wallpaper is directly on the sheet rock for last.  Saving the worst for last--bad idea probably.)

I honestly look that good while I scrape.  Not.  

More like this minus the fake smile.
  

No comments: