Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Bye Bye Binkies and other Ben related news!

This has been a big week for Ben.  I bought him his own IKEA Jr. chair and got his high chair ready for the attic (or maybe Craig's list, still deciding).  Then last Sunday when we went to put him to bed, we discovered that the only binkie we could find had a rip in it.  (I knew there was one more around, but we didn't know where it was).  So, we decided it was time to say goodbye to the binkies.  Last Sunday night was a tough one.  He got up several times.  Once he said, "I heard a binkie noise in my room!"  And the most frequent request was to go to the "Binkie Store".  It actually was breaking my heart...but I know it is the right thing to do.  He was using it WAY too much.  It was slowing down his speech a little bit--and I'm sure the dentist will be SO happy.  After Sunday night he slept just fine (and when I came down to workout on Monday morning, I found the other binkie in the Ballroom, but I hid it on top of the fridge).  But that didn't stop him from longing for binkies any time he thought of it.  I feel a cross between the meanest mommy and the best mommy for making him grow up.  He really is getting so so big.  I had to get him some 2T/3T pants this week!
This is Ben's favorite game right now.  We play it almost every morning and any time we get out of the car when he has his blankie.  (Which he isn't taking anywhere now that he doesn't have a binkie--GREAT!)  Ben hides and we have to "look for him".

Surprise!
I am really enjoying the time I have with him all day when the girls are in school.  We went grocery shopping this week.  I promised him a treat.  He choose lofthouse cookies (and ate one while we were shopping).  Then at the checkout line decided that cookies aren't really a treat and he needed something else.  I refused.  In the car on the way home he said, "Mom, I am so frustrated with you!"  Then he proceeded to list his grievances.  It was so adult!  So I said, "Did that make you feel better to share your feelings with me?"  "NO!  I AM STILL MAD!"

He is learning his letters!  I think he actually  knows more than I think.  I left a stencil on the floor a few weeks ago and he said, "Who left this F?"  Also at IKEA he saw the Registered Trademark R on the cart and laughed because the R was upside down.

He has also decided that he has 2 girl friends.  One is Evelyn (Sarah's school friend) and one is Lucy (a girl from church).
It is harder for me than I thought it would be to have my baby grow up!
Ben learning to take pictures...

He saw our outfits on Sunday (I got dressed first, for the record) and said, "You guys are matchy matchy!  Give me your phone so I can take a picture."


1 comment:

Taylor said...

It sounds like he is doing great but we put Asher's last pacifier inside a build a bear, and then whenever he asked for his "paci" I would hand him "pacibear". I think it really helped comfort him.