Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Christmas Eve

This year, since I was hosting, I had the audacity to suggest that the Norton/Barretts might want to eat something other than clam chowder and donuts for Christmas eve.  LOL.  I thought Derek was the only one who refuses to eat anything other than the traditional food.  Nortons love to keep it the same!  So, clam chowder and donuts it was.
The Nortons also love games more than performing.  So, my girls did a performance, we had the Christmas pageant and we played some games!  Christmas Bingo that I got Here.  And then at the end to replace my Dad's reading of "The Night Before Christmas" we played this game  where you pass the gifts from left to right during the poem.  It was really fun.
We used the Christmas story as told on mormon.org this year.  Next year I will add in a few lines of scripture to help give more stage direction.  But I loved the story, and the idea that Christ is the real gift of Christmas.
Sarah made a wonderful Mary.  She looked adoringly at the baby often.  Ben had a hard time with his role of Joseph.  He wanted to be everywhere at once and his idea of cuddling baby Jesus was throwing him up and down.  Also, our impromptu bell choir is getting better every year.
Because Derek had to work the next day, and because we were leaving for Utah, Santa needed to come on Christmas Eve.  Conveniently Geneva forgot to bring their new PJs, so she drove them to her house to pick up their gift.  Santa came while they were gone.  This is the first time we have opened presents on Christmas eve.  I actually really liked it.  I got a great nights sleep on Christmas eve since the gifts were all open and then the kids woke up excited to play on Christmas.  Overall I give it 2 thumbs up!  It was a super fun night!
I think everyone really loved their gifts!

Mary and Joseph

One of the Angels (Emma was the other)

Mary adores Jesus

Ben about the launch Jesus

The whole cast of the Christmas Pageant.  Brion was the narrator, Alayne played the piano and I was chorister.

Libby got her practice American Girl doll.  And a nutcracker that she promptly dropped and broke.  Maybe she is destined to be Clara.  

Santa's gymnastics mat gift!

Go DAWGS!  (I told Derek they lost their bowl game because he didn't wear his hat!)

Ben got the Batcave that he had been really wanting.  He cried on Christmas morning because I wouldn't let him put it in his suitcase. 

All of Sarah's loot from Santa and mom & dad

Dad chilling with his gifts.


Bffs.  The necklaces prove it.  

No comments: