Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Libbyisms

This is how Libby describes herself.  She did all of this without my help.  She is very motivated to get homework done when she is doing something that interests her!

To say that Libby is sassy and spunky would be an understatement.  She is a girl who knows what she wants.  And will get it if she can figure out how.  And she usually can.  These gymnastics mats from Santa have already seen a lot of use!  She is cartwheeling as often as she can.  Which isn't that often, since they have school from 9:10-3:30 (add a 1/2 hour on each side for walking).  Then when she gets home, she has pages of homework.  She complains VERY loudly about some of it.  But when she buckles down to do it, she doesn't have too much trouble.  She isn't the world's best speller (although she usually does really well on spelling tests).  But I love her "best guess" spelling.
This week there was a gunman that approached their school (or the children's center next door depending on who is retelling)  just before students were to arrive.  He told a janitor that he would be back to shoot up the school and others nearby.  Shoreline district closed the schools.  Luckily we hadn't even left home.  Libby's response?  "Best Day EVER."  
They didn't catch the bad guy, (the janitor was so shocked she didn't get a good description) so we have had a higher than normal police presence.  I have never been so nervous as when I dropped them off at at school the next day.  It is never good when you are having a dinner table discussion about what to do if a gunman shows up at school.  
But, Libby was more scared by an episode of Monster High (I finally let them watch some, and guess what?) that she watched that day.  
Parenting Libby challenges me, in part because she IS ME.  And partly because she IS NOT ME.  
But I am working on figuring out how to best help her overcome her challenges (and in the process getting a pretty good view of how I could work on some of mine.)
One of the best parts of our trip to Utah was reading Harry Potter to her on the plane.  Now that we are home we have been working to finish (or should I say forcing ourselves to do our other work so that we can get back to reading?)  It has been so long since I read it that I can't remember what happened, so it is almost like I am reading for the first time too.  
I am thankful for you Libby!

Libby  made this sign for her bedroom door.  Not sure who added the K over the C.  Maybe she realized later that there was something wrong here?

No comments: