Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Skating for Grandpa Kay

My Grandpa (who was a roller rink operator by trade) passed away last Feb. He was always a part of our Christmas celebrations.  His birthday was Christmas Eve.  So, we went roller skating in his honor on the day after Christmas.  We busted out the old costumes.  Even Ben said he wanted to wear "girl clothes."  All 3 Norton kids abandoned their skates after just a few minutes.  But Libby and Sarah both tried it again near the end of the afternoon and got a bit better by the end.  They now have these things you hold onto while rolling like a walker.  I think my grandmother's technique of tightening our wheels was more effective, but whatever works!  We went to a place that had lots of other activities for all to enjoy.  Bouncy houses, a giant jungle gym, etc.  I think it was one of my kids favorite parts of the trip.
(Most of the skating costumes we have were actually  my dad's, from the Mona and Lona numbers where he and a friend dressed as girls.)  The one that I am wearing goes under the one Soren and Brad are wearing.  Ben is wearing the bloomers that go with my dress.


One of my favorite pictures of Ben and my dad!


I actually kept my skates on the whole time, but my feet were really tired by the end.  

No comments: