Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Libby's First Day of School



Libby had her first day of school this week.  I was so excited.  She has been ready for a long time.  I just wanted to get the first day over with.  We went out to meet the bus.  It is SO great that it comes right across from our house.  This is the best thing ever.  It turns out that most parents take their kids to school on the first day.  Libby got on the bus with only one other little boy.  Oops.  But I think it was good to just get her started going on the bus.  I think I will stop by and pick her up one day this week so I can meet her teacher (I did meet her at kindergarten camp, but more officially) and see her classroom, etc.  I didn't cry when she got on the bus.  In fact, after it pulled away I did a little cheer.  I am now realizing how people have more than 3 kids.  They send some of them off to school and get a break during the day.  It is amazing.  Sarah also thinks it is amazing.  She is loving not having anyone boss her around all morning.  Ben is indifferent.  
Libby seems to be having a good time.  She is making new friends.  She and Reid seem to be moving in different circles, and that is basically what we knew would happen.  They are both too type A to really play well together.  Here are the snippets that I have picked up from Libby about what has happened at school.  They learned to sing "Happy Birthday" to the sink while they wash their hands.  Fancy Nancy came to visit the class and read them a story (this is the librarian, Mrs. Bell, she seems awesome!).  They had an assembly and said the pledge of allegiance.  I just found out that Mrs. McShane told Libby that if her glasses make things blurry she should tell me.  And that is about it.
There has been nothing in her backpack.  No communication from her teacher.  I don't know how long I can go knowing just about nothing.
Libby did tell me that they got to go to a cave that was like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory where they could eat lots of candy.  I asked her what Mrs. McShane would say about that if I asked her.  "Well, Mrs. McShane didn't go to the cave..." was her reply.  Hmmmm...This is a whole new world.


No comments: