Life & Times of 5 Busy Nortons

Sunday, September 16, 2012

School Days

I am LOVING having school in our lives.  It is so good for Libby, but it is also good for all of us.  I am such a routine person, but for the past 5 years, life has had kind of a day by day routine because I taught at different times each day.  Now, school is a constant.  Here is our new School Day Schedule:
5:30 am  Trish wakes up and gets her scriptures and choreography learning in.  Somedays she even gets her daily chore done or almost done before the girls get up.
7:30 am Libby's alarm goes off.  I get them up and they both make their bed and get dressed (this takes lots of prompting and help from me at this point, but I am hopeful that they will get used to it and be able to do it on their own?  Maybe in about 3 years.)
8:15 We get Libby on the bus.
8:15-11:30 Maybe one errand and then a trip to the gym.  I only teach one morning weekday class now, a water class at 10:00 am on Tuesdays.  So I get to pick most of my workouts.  On Mondays I drop Sarah off for Preschool at 9:00 am.
11:30 Pick up Libby (and then go get Sarah on Mondays)
Then we eat lunch and they each have one chore to do (I come up with the chore depending on the day right now...this may standardize at some point)
Then I created 4 AAB (After School Activity Bins)  They can pick one of those each day.  I just took stuff we already had, puzzles, coloring books, kid magazines, watercolor stuff, etc. and divided it up into 4 bins.  They have to play with/do the things in the bin and then they can have free play time (notice there has been no time for a movie in here at all!)
Ben naps during the lunch/AAB time.  It is going really well so far (knock on wood).  Libby is eating a great lunch when she gets home from school.  I don't even have to prompt her.

Sarah and Ben enjoying a walk into the house after our trip to the gym.


2 comments:

Taylor said...

Love reading about your schedule. We have not yet found our rhythm. But we've only been in school 4 days, so I am hoping this week goes better. Last week the kids were nightmares, Mad is so clingy she won't let me out of her sight and Asher has totally regressed with potty training. Ugh. I think in the end it will be a good change.

triciarnorton said...

Yesterday Libby had an almost meltdown in the morning, but then we got into the routine and it got better. Change is hard! The getting up early is tough for Libby! (And me, since I am getting up earlier than I used to, too.)